Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Veal Patties with Chives



The other day when I was at the store and ground veal was on sale, so I picked up a pound. Then I got home and I realized I had no idea what to make with it.

So I searched online a bit and found this recipe which I thought looked pretty interesting. So I decided to give it a whirl, with some changes of course (aka did NOT use mushrooms)!

My husband and I both had the same word to describe this meal - different. Not BAD different- just different! We both really enjoyed it very much and it was a great diversion from the normal chicken or beef dinner.
Ingredients
Adapted from Epicurious.com, originally from Gourmet, February 2006

2 slices firm white sandwich bread, coarsely crumbled
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1 1/4 lb ground veal
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs - not seasoned (I used Panko Breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, trimmed and cut into sixths (I omitted)

Directions

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.

Soak bread in cream in a large bowl 5 minutes. Stir in egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon chives until blended well. Add veal and mix with your hands until combined well. Form veal mixture into 4 (4-inch) patties. Spread dry bread crumbs on a sheet of wax paper and coat patties all over.

Heat oil with 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then cook patties, carefully turning over once, until golden brown, firm to the touch, and thermometer inserted into center of each registers 148°F, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer patties to an ovenproof platter and keep warm, covered with foil, in oven. Do not clean skillet.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté mushrooms (I actually used onions), stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives and salt and pepper to taste. (I also added 2-3 tablespoons of cream to thicken it up a bit.)

Serve veal patties topped with mushrooms (or onions!)

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online