Friday, February 5, 2010

Mujadrah




I'm pretty sure I'm still not saying this correctly, since I first 'heard' of it browsing through Good Things Catered last week. But I decided to try it since it looked like a healthy side dish. And that it was.

And not only was it healthy it's super filling and comforting. This could easily be a meal in and of itself (which I'm guessing it probably is supposed to be) but it also worked great as a satisfying side.

Lentils, brown rice, caramelized onions...what's not to love?!
Ingredients
Source: Good Things Catered

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tsp salt, plus more for serving
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
4 c. water (for some reason I had to use way more then this...the rice and lentils kept absorbing all the water but it wasn't finished cooking. I'd say I used at least 5 cups, but I started with 4 and just kept adding more until it was right.)
1 c. lentils, rinsed and picked through
1 c. long grain brown rice (I used short grain since it was all I had...this worked fine)

optional (non traditional):
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/16 tsp ground allspice

Directions
-Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat.
-Add onions and salt and cook until they are deeply caramelized. (This takes a while but be patient).
-After about 35-60 minutes (usually takes me about 45 minutes) the onions will be a rich amber color and darker in spots.
-Make sure not to burn, it will turn the taste of the entire dish.
-When the onions are ready add the garlic and spices and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
-Add water and deglaze the pan, scraping up all browned bits.
-Add lentils and bring to a boil.
-Cover pan and cook for 15 minutes.
-Add rice and stir to combine.
-Recover pan and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until rice is done.
-Mix thoroughly, cover and turn heat off.
-Let sit until slightly cooled and thickened, with no liquid left in the pan.
-It is now ready to serve: plate and season with salt and pepper to bring out taste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, yay! i'm so happy tou liked it. My favorite way is when you almost "overcook" it down to mush. Then serve it with a dollop of thickened yogurt on top. Soooo good. :) Hard to explain how to say it, but I'm sure you have it. It's "MOO-shud-drah"...okay I can't explain how to roll the "dr" on that. haha.

Cate said...

I love this stuff! I just made some with bulgur instead of rice, but I love it both ways!

Kristen616 said...

Katie - I definitely didn't "have it" lol... I was butchering it! But 'moo-shud-drah' sounds good...thanks! We loved it though...thanks for the recipe!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online