Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Rosemary Garlic Croutons



A week had passed and I found myself with 1/2 loaf of my favorite french bread which was clearly past its prime. So what better to do with slightly stale bread? Make croutons! I had never made them before, so I found this guide online and went from there. These croutons are fabulous and couldn't be easier to make. Next time I wont be lazy and will mince up some fresh garlic rather then using the powder, but either way they were delicious. Honestly, I can't foresee myself ever buying croutons again. I think I might make a loaf of bread once a week just so I can make croutons.

Ingredients
Adapted from About.com

Homemade Bread (slightly stale is fine!)
1/2 - 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
dried rosemary
garlic powder (or freshly minced garlic)
seasoned salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil, and lightly spray with non-stick spray. Mix rosemary, garlic powder and seasoned salt with your olive oil. All measurements are approximate, just use what you want to fit your tastes. Slice bread to your desired thickness, and brush both sides with olive oil mixture. Stack 2-3 pieces of bread on top of each other, and cut into squares. Repeat if necessary. Lay bread squares on the baking sheet in a single layer, and bake until dry and crisp, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container. Use within one week or freeze for up to 6 months.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Yum - I want to try these out the next time I have some leftover bread. I love anything with rosemary - these look great!

Colleen said...

What a great idea for leftover bread! Mine always goes stale...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online