Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Calzones



Usually on Friday I make a pizza, but last weekend I was in the mood for calzones. So my husband and I each made our own and they came out great! I have no clue if I made them correctly because I had no recipe, but it worked for us! I hate toppings on my pizza, so I also hate different things in my calzones. I personally made myself a cheese calzone with a bit of minced garlic, but my husband added ham and onion to his as well. Overall, this is a great friday night meal and are fun to make because you can customize individual calzones! Just be careful how big you make them, ours were huge so we only ate half!

Ingrediets
1 recipe Pizza Dough
Ricotta Cheese
Motzerella Cheese
2 cloves minced garlic
2 eggs
1 tbps milk
salt
pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 375. In a medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese (as much as you want...I used about a half of a container of fat free ricotta), one egg and salt and pepper to taste. Seperate your dough into as many portions as calzones you want. Based on the dough recipe I used, I made 2 really big calzones and garlic knots. You could easily get 3-4 normal calzones out of that recipe. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one piece of dough into a circle, and on one half of that spread the ricotta and motzerella (no quantity because you can put in as much as you want!) Sprinkle the garlic on the cheeses and lightly season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, beat together remaining egg and milk. Using a pastry brush, brush the edge of the half circle where the cheese is, and fold over the other side of the dough. Press the dough together forming a seal, and then tuck the edges under. Brush the top of the calzone with more of the egg wash. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and melty on the inside! Serve with some warm marinara sauce and enjoy!

4 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oooh that looks like some great cheese action in those calzones! Yum!

Maria said...

I love making calzones! Yours look cheesy and delicious!

Colleen said...

Oooh I am drooling now. Yum!

Anonymous said...

this sounds SO GOOD

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online