Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip


This has always been a favorite of me and my husband, so for New Years I made it for the girls at work for our little lunch get-together (there's only 3 of us!). I wanted something fast because I had to cook it on a weeknight, so I used Alton Brown's recipe. It was super simple and very good! I have since made a few changes to make it just to my liking and it is always a hit! It also makes just a little more then what my crock pot little dipper will hold, which is the perfect amount for me!

Ingredients
Adapted from Alton Brown

1 can Artichoke hearts, rinsed and chopped
1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach
6 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil.
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Optional:
1/4 cup mayonnaise (the original recipe called for this and I made it with the mayonnaise the first time and the dip was very good. But the second time I made this dip I totally forgot about the mayo and the dip turned out perfect....if not better! So I figure, why add the extra calories?!)

Directions
Boil spinach and artichokes in 1 cup of water until tender (about 10 minutes) and drain in a fine meshed strainer. "Push out" as much water as you can with a spoon. Discard liquid. Melt cream cheese in microwave for 1 minute - 1 minute 30 seconds until hot and soft. Stir in the spinach, artichokes, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, mayo (if using), salt and pepper. Then in a small skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions and cook until the onions are tender. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Make sure the onions/garlic don't caramelize too much. Add the cooked onion/garlic mixture to the rest of the ingredients and serve hot. Tastes great on crackers or tortilla chips.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Spinach artichoke is one of my fave dips ever. Looks delicious!

Unknown said...

This looks great! I've never made Spinach Artichoke dip before. This looks like a recipe I'll have to try.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online