Thursday, January 8, 2009

Seared pork chops with balsamic caramelized onions


I absolutely love caramelized onions and balsamic vinegar paired with pork chops. It's one of my favorite flavor combinations. Last night, my husband requested pork chops but I didn't feel like making a recipe that I had to follow with ingredients I may or may not have had on hand. So I just whipped this up without a recipe and it was so great. I've never had such juicy pork chops ever, and while it certainly isn't a complicated recipe it, it was just great, simple, weeknight food that my husband and I both loved.
Ingredients
2 pork chops, butterflied
1/2 cup flour
extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
aprox 3-4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
kosher salt
pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle a little olive oil so it coats the bottom. Add onions and sautee until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Meanwhile, dry off your pork chops and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then dust the whole chop (top and bottom) with flour so there is a nice coating. When the onions are tender and beginning to caramelize, raise heat to medium-high and sear the pork chops with the onions, about 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown, on each side. Transfer chops to a medium-large baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Drizzle a little Balsamic over each chop, and then add about 2 tbps. of balsamic to the onions that are still in the skillet. Toss onions with balsamic and when most of the vingear has been absorbed, remove from heat and put onions on top of pork chops. Cook in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until the chops are no longer bright pink (a little pink is ok!)

2 comments:

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Great job on creating this recipe! It sounds and looks so delicious!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - balsamic caramelized onions sounds wonderful over pork and even chicken!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online