Monday, January 5, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana



This is my husband's favorite meal. I've been making it for him since before we got married, and he always loves it and thinks it's a treat when I make it. It's so easy, but I don't make it very often because it's really not the best for you (calorie-wise). So for our last meal before our New Year's diet, I made this for us. I use store bought marinara sauce because my husband has a weird thing about chunks of tomatoes in his sauce (he doesn't like them) so I get super-smooth sauce at the store. But I personally prefer home made sauce! I've never used a recipe for this meal, so this is my take on a classic! A lot of the measurements are approximate, just because I never measure anything for this dish. You can kind of just tell how much you need and adjust it to how you like it. I served it with my favorite Penne Alfredo recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts, pounded thin
2 cups AP flour
2 eggs
2-3 tbsp milk
1.5 - 2 cups Italian style Panko Bread crumbs
aprox. 3/4 cup vegetable oil
aprox. 1 1/2 cup Marinara sauce
Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Kosher Salt
Pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, then season them with salt and pepper. On one plate, put flour. On a separate plate, add Panko and in a medium bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Dredge chicken breasts in flour, then egg, then flour, then egg and finally Panko. Press the Panko into the Chicken Breast so it sticks. Set coated Chicken breasts aside. In a medium-large saucepan with high sides, add oil so it completely coats the bottom of the pan. Place on stovetop and turn heat up to medium. When the oil is hot, add Chicken breasts and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the panko is golden brown.

In a 13x9 baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray, add marinara sauce so it coats the bottom of the dish. Place chicken on top of sauce, and then cover the top of the chicken with a little more sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then take the chicken out of the oven, remove the foil and cover the chicken with as much parmesan and motzerella as you want. Put back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have a "go to" recipe for chicken parm yet. I might have to try this one! Thanks for posting.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oooh - chicken parm! I haven't made it in a while so I hope to make it soon!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online