Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pierogi Lasagna


When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try and it and blog about it! I found it on the Omnomicon blog and while my pictures are no where near as good as on that blog, I did what I could! This was great as a side to Kielbasa with carmelized onions. I thought the end result was a little bit on the "bland" side, but I blame myself because I think my potatoes were under seasoned. I will use more onions next time as well because i found they got lost in all of the potato and noodle goodness. Also, I wouldn't serve it as a main course or by itself because all those carbs get a little overwhelming. A protein is a must with this dish! Some Grilled Kielbasa is an excellent choice. But all in all, I thought this recipe was a really good take on a pierogi. I will probably make it again!

Ingredients
1 lb lasagna noodles
4 lbs red or white potatoes
1/4 c sour cream (optional)
1/2 c milk
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 c butter (1.5 sticks) (I used about 3/4 - 1 stick)
1 onion, sliced in rings

Directions
Cook the noodles. Chop potatoes into 1" cubes, place in pot of cold water (enough to cover), and allow to come to a boil. Continue boil until potatoes are soft enough to yield to a fork stab. Drain, mash, blend with a mixer. Toss in the optional sour cream and milk, mix some more. Add salt to taste. Stir in cheddar.

Melt all the butter over medium-high heat, then sautee onion until the rings no longer hold their shape.

Preheat oven to 375. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with some of the onion-butter. Lay noodles on the bottom of the dish, then spread the potatoes, a dollop at a time, along the length of each noodle. Once done, smooth the potatoes, then spread about a quarter of the onion on top, and drizzle a small amount of butter as well. Repeat this twice (or more if your dish can accommodate), then top with noodles and the remainder of the onions and butter.

Pop in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

3 comments:

EJacks said...

This I am definitely going to try!

aleta meadowlark said...

Thanks for trying it out, I'm glad it worked out for ya! =)

Danielle said...

This looks so good! I'm going to have to try this--I'm 50% Polish and have never made pierogis before--it is one of my to-dos...in the mean time this looks great!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online