Monday, December 15, 2008

Pate Brisee (Pie Dough)


This is my favorite recipe for pie dough. I like that it doesn't require any shortening, because I don't usually have that on hand. But I always have butter in the fridge so I can make this in any pie dough emergency! It's also super flaky and buttery...just how we like it! This recipe was written to be made in a food processor, but I don't have a very good food processor so I don't use it. So this is my recipe without the use of a food processor!

Ingredients
Adapted from Martha Stewart
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water (I usually need at least 1 cup of ice water...I don't know why I need so much but I definitely do to hold the dough together).
Directions
  1. In a large bowl combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter, and with a pastry blender mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
  2. Add ice water in a slow, steady stream. With your hands, mix water into flour mixture until it holds together without being wet or sticky; be careful not to over process. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
  3. Divide dough into two equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disc and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 1 hour. Dough may be stored, frozen, up to 1 month.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online