Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Parmesan Encrusted Pork Chops with Balsamic Caramelized Onions



I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more pork, beef or anything but chicken into weeknight dinners. So when I saw this recipe from Giada DeLaurentis, I knew I had to try it but with a few of my own changes. One addition I made was that I added balsamic caramelized onions to the top of the chop. I love balsamic caramelized onions with pork, so I thought it would work well and it did! I served it with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, Italian bread and a side salad.

Ingredients
adapted from Giada DeLaurentis

  • 2 large eggs (I used 1 egg for 2 chops)
  • 1 cup dried Italian-style bread crumbs (I used Italian style Panko)
  • 3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan
  • 4 (1/2 to 3/4-inch thick) center-cut pork loin chops (each about 10 to 12 ounces) (I used 2 pork chops)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
  • Lemon wedges, for serving
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp butter

Directions

Whisk the eggs in a plate or bowl to blend. Place the bread crumbs in another plate. Place the cheese in a third plate. Make sure your pork chops are very dry. Sprinkle the pork chops generously with salt and pepper. Coat the chops completely with the cheese, patting to adhere. Dip the chops into the eggs, then coat completely with the bread crumbs, patting to adhere.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and 1 tbsp of butter in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add pork chops, in batches if necessary, and cook until golden brown and the center reaches 150 degrees, about 6 minutes per side. After the 1st 6 minutes are up and you have flipped the pork chop, add your onions to the same skillet, making sure most of them are coming into direct contact with the skillet. When the pork chops are finished cooking (in aprox. another 6 minutes) remove them from the skillet and add your balsamic vinegar to the onions. Sautee for another 3-4 minutes until onions are carmelized and the vingear is absorbed. Serve onion mixture on top of pork chops.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

That sounds yummy, I am always looking for new ways to make pork chops!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great looking meal!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those lok mouthwateringly delicious!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online