Monday, December 22, 2008

Baked Potato Soup


I've been wanting to try this soup because my husband always orders it when we go out. And since we had a small blizzard yesterday, I thought it would be the perfect time to try it! I loved this recipe. I mean, what's better than cooking onions in bacon grease? While it's not exactly low-cal, this is a really fantastic soup and just pure comfort food.

INGREDIENTS
Adapted from www.Allrecipes.com

  • 4 bacon strips, diced
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used about 4 smaller potatoes)
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • Shredded Cheddar cheese
  • Minced fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and green onions; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks so yummy, but the most beautiful part is that bowl! It's so pretty for serving.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That is one delicious bowl of soup and perfect for the weather we're having! (It's 20 below 0 today here in Chicago - eek!)

Bugaboo said...

I made this recently and it was really good! I just posted about it on my blog (dirtpoorfilthyrich.blogspot.com). Don't worry, you got all the credit for the yumminess! Thanks!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online